Exclusive Interview with Darius Syrossian



Darius Syrossian production skills have lead to acclaim with labels such as Get Physical, Jackathon Compilation, Hot Creations, VIVa MUSiC, OFF Recordings, Magnetic, Area Remote, and 8bit to name a few. After a successful summesr with his residency at Sankeys in Ibiza, his VIVa music compilation  with Steve Lawler, and  his first DC-10 gig with Jamie Jones at the Paradise Closing Party in September 2012, Darius also made a rare appearance in the US 2 months later in December. 

Oh, did I mention he’s on the RA Poll: Top DJs of 2012 at number 76?

What’s the meaning behind “TRUE. HOUSE. MUSIC”?
DS: It means House music that is made to make the listener feel what house music is – remember the words in that famous old skool track ‘House is a feeling’ – there you go, you have your answer.
So the difference between true house music and EDM is this, EDM is just a racket made to go with all the other crap that is needed to stimulate the crowd, such as loads of fancy lights, ice cannons, gimmicks (Deadmau5 wearing a mouse head, Steve Aoki jumping around like a clown).
Those are two examples, if you take all that away and are left with a dark room and a great sound system but nothing else, EDM sounds horrible, like an alarm going off. In comparison, true house music sounds amazing just with a dark room and a good sound system, and that’s how it started, it’s a feeling.

In 2012, DJ MAG awarded you with a nomination for “BEST OF BRITISH, BREAKTHROUGH PRODUCER AWARD.” How did that come about and can you tell us a little bit about the experience?
DS: If I’m honest, I’ve been quite vocal that I’m not into award ceremonies and all this shit. I don’t like the fact that house music is almost becoming like Hollywood with awards and fancy ceremonies with champagne tables, it’s not what house music’s about, and I don’t care for them.
Disclosure are also in my category and make more commercial music than me, so they will win it anyway, but it’s of course great to be recognized for what you are doing, and thank you to DJ Mag for recognizing my work this year, but I always feel uncomfortable if there is a fuss over me in public. I’m not the type of DJ to jump around behind the decks either, I just want to play the music and let the crowd feel it.

How long have you been a Monthly Resident at world renowned Sankeys in Manchester. How would you describe the overall vibe?
DS: I’ve played at Sankeys for years, but my monthly residency has now run for 18 months, and it’s amazing, it really is such an amazing venue and club both for the dj and the clubber.
David Vincent, the owner, has taken the Manchester vibe and put it in Ibiza and it’s exactly what house music is about: a great sound system, a low ceiling, dark, laid out perfectly for a good house party, no damn champagne tables getting in your way etc.

When and how did you become one of the main members of Steve Lawler’s VIVa MUSiC family?
DS:I met Steve in 2008 at a gig, and I gave him a demo. He then got in touch and said it was amazing and so I made some stuff for his VIVa MUSiC label.

Then 6 months down the line he said ‘Darius I can see how passionate you are, I’m going to sign you exclusively to VIVa and if you apply this passion to your productions and DJ’ing, you will be in a very good place but don’t let me down, it is now all up to you’.
This happened just as the recession hit and I was quitting my record shop job that I had done for 15 years. I put my all into it and it’s got me here four years down the line, so I always say thanks to Steve Lawler for giving me the platform to show what I can do.
He’s a great guy who has helped a lot of artists, but as he said, it’s one thing getting exposure, but you also have to deliver the goods such as those killer tracks, and I didn’t let the opportunity go to waste.

Your latest release, “Metal” EP on OFF Recordings, had big support from Reboot, Simon Baker and Jamie Jones.  You have a forthcoming release on Hot Creations. What can we expect?
DS:Hot Creations have asked for an EP, and one track on it is very similar to “Metal” actually. Unfortunately I can’t say too much right now but watch this space!

In 3 words, how would you describe your sound?
DS:Bass injected house

Is there anyone you would love to collaborate with?
DS: Ahhhh there are too many to name…maybe Dan Ghenacia and Dyed Soundorom. They are real house music heads.

If you were only given one choice, to either be a dj or producer, which one would you be and why?
DS: I would go to the person who gave me this one choice and demand he asked me another question, haha!

With some many genres, producers and djs at the moment, who stands out to you the most?
DS: Dan Ghenacia’s productions lately are awesome, and the same for Kink. I also like new guys such as Detroit Swindle and Shadow Child, but there is too many to name, so I better stop here.

Describe your perfect [underground] party: 
DS: All my friends are there of course. It’s in a dark room, with an amazing sound system, a low ceiling, with a perfect crowd that understands real house music. It’s set in a location so that when the gig is finished; we come out and are near the beach, for an after party. . . actually I think I have just described Sankeys Ibiza, haha.

Darius Syrossian online: 
facebook.com/pages/Darius-Syrossian/178416312190425

Comments