Exclusive Interview with Jerome Isma-Ae



Jerome Isma-Ae, born in Munich, Germany, has one of the most unique progressive sounds and is one of the highest-selling progressive house DJ/Producers around. 

You were named breakthrough artist of the year by AVB in 2010. What was your reaction? 
Jerome: That was a very proud moment. Gareth Emery, Cosmic Gate, and a few other DJ’s also voted me as breakthrough artist in 2010. It’s a good feeling to know that my music is liked and supported by so many great DJ’s.

Jerome, you have such a distinguished sound – a rumbling beat with a build up tension. How do you manage to keep your signature beat in all your production and remixes and yet still deliver variety? It’s amazing! 
Jerome: Good to hear that you like it!  Thank you very much. It was a long journey to find my sound signature. I went through rock/metal, house, techno, drum&bass, classical music, soundtracks, chillout and trance. I guess my sound is a bit influenced of everything I just mentioned.

Not to offend anyone, but nowadays, a lot of tracks have the same clap-on sound, no originality. You seem to stay away from that, which is what makes you stand out. How are you inspired and where do you gain so much creativity from? 
Jerome: Every trend comes back from time to time. The clap on one is nothing new. Back in the early 90´s there was a Chicago House label called Dance Mania, their trademark was the clap on one. I get my inspiration from everything and everywhere, but mostly I get great inspiration from movie soundtracks.

First time I ever saw you live was summer of 2008. Your opening track was “Smile When You Kill Me,” which was also getting BIG support from Armin Van Buuren, himself. Your weekly podcast is also named “Smile When You Kill Me.” Can you give us a little background on that production/name?
Jerome: Yeah, that track was doing very well. Many djs used it as their intro for the shows. The song was made for this job because of the build up sound. I used a sound from “The Dark Knight,” so a friend of mine told me: “Why don’t you call your new track ‘Smile when you kill me’? ” I guess there is no better name for this song, hehe.
MusikBeats: You’re now touring worldwide, with recent shows in the US. You played in New York at Governor’s Island, as well as Los Angeles and Miami. How would you describe the vibe, your fans, and the overall experience? 
Jerome: In one word: massive!

You’ve remixed Faithless, Way Out West, Above and Beyond, and you even added your own touch to Michael Jackson’s “Stranger In Moscow.” You recently remixed Paul Van Dyke’s “I don’t Deserve You,” and Flippers & DJ Slater feat. Uprag’s “Unlocked.” Is there anyone in specific you would like to remix or collaborate with? 
Jerome: I’m very open minded and I love to go different ways and experience new sounds and styles, so let’s see what comes next! 

What other projects are you currently working on? 
Jerome: Right now I’m working on collabs with Paul Thomas, Michael Woods, Maor Levi, Fehrplay, Max Freegrant and Sebastian Krieg. I’m also working on my new single and a few remixes. More info very soon.

Tell us one random fact about you! 
Jerome: I’m addicted to speed. It started when I was three years old and my dad bought me this little pedal car. My mum was very scared because I didn’t show any fear when I was racing down the hills all the time. Today, I love to go 200 mph in my car, or race down the hill, 60mph, on a mountain bike. Nothing has changed since then, only the toys became bigger. 


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ismaae
Twitter: http://twitter.com/JeromeIsmaAe
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/jerome-isma-ae
Homepage: jeromeisma-ae.com
Beatport: http://www.beatport.com/artist/jerome-isma-ae/5033

Comments