Exclusive Interview with Olivier Giacomotto


Here's an exclusive interview I did with Giacomotto back in 2012


Beatport Music Awards nominee, Olivier Giacomotto,  has become one of the most  artists on demand in the electronic music scene.  Apart from being an international dj, producer and in-demand remixer, he runs Definitive Recorings along with John Acquaviva. Together they tour the world’s most famous venues, delivering their unique sound of warm, funk fueled tech house.
The multi-talented young star also licenses tracks for Hollywood box office movies, top-selling video games, and has also produced for many pop and reggae artists selling thousands of copies.

It’s a pleasure to have you on board. How are you doing, and where are you at the moment reading this interview?
OG: I’m in a plane back from Albania with almost no sleep, I had great time in a club called Lollipop in Tirana. It was my first time there but such a good one!

You were nominated as best electro producer for the Beatport Music Awards 2008, which also tell us you have been in the scene for quite some time. Can you tell us a little about the nomination and your work?
OG: I had my first record released in 2004, after all this time I can tell that nominations, awards, TOP10s, are the things that make you feel good, but are also the things I don’t think of when I produce. Recognition is not and will never be a motivation, I always keep in mind that I make music, and not marketing.

How did you get into licensing tracks for movies and video games?
OG: As I already said, I only make music. Licensing comes afterwards, and this is a work between publishers and production companies, artist are not often involved in that kind of negotiations.

You’ve gained support from Carl Cox and Chris Liebing, and you’ve said that you admire Richie Hawtin because of his love for technology. Who inspires you nowadays and why?
OG: the first album of Kaiserdisco is titled “In No-One’s Shadow”, so liked them. I try to follow my own path. If not everything would sound the same.

Can you tell us about partnering up with John Acquaviva and the concept of the label Definitive Recordings?
OG: John and I share a real passion for music, food and cooking, that’s how we became friends. John has been in the music business for a long time, he was a dj before house music, he’s the one who teached Richie Hawtin how to use 303s and 909s, so there is also a lot to learn from him. Now I help him managing Definitive Recordings, we always try to find fresh good music, no matter the artist, and if the track works on the dancefloor, then we release it.

I believe a good kick drum and a bassline make the dance floor move… but how do you create that? How do you balance them to have the perfect sound?
OG: The rule in music is that there is no rule… this is not science but art. A good balance in the mix is a combination of production skills and good ears. To make it short I’d say “KISS” which means Keep It Simple Stupid. One good kick is sometimes better than 3 layered kicks.

What’s favorite production to date?
OG: I try not to look behind as much as possible and try to focus on my work and the future.

What are your favorite tracks at the moment and which ones stood out to you in 2012?
OG: I played a lot of tracks from producers I like such as Ramon Tapia, Jay Lumen, Siwell, etc… but the best for me is an EP we released lately on Definitive Bazu – “Change The System”. Also check my Best of 2012 on Beatport Mixes : http://www.beatport.com/chart/best-of-locomotto-2012/139107

What are your favorite tools to produce with and which do you prefer behind the decks? 
OG: Easy answer, for production, logic Pro 9, Sonnox Dynamics, Sonnox Limiter. For the stage, Traktor, and Kontrol X1.

Any talent that we should be on the lookout for?
OG: His name is BAZU.

Can you tell us about any upcoming projects? Any special plans for 2013?
OG: Many projects, my first EP of the year called “Chipotle” will come out on January 14. Then a remix of the best seller track “Good Music” will come out end of January, and then a co-productions with the Canadian Simon Doty. I’m also working on a movie soundtrack but I cannot tell you more about it right now.
For more info, check my websites:
www.oliviergiacomotto.com
www.facebok.com/oliviergiacomotto
www.soundcloud.com/oliviergiacomotto
www.twitter.com/ogiacomotto

Comments