JAMES TALK : EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW


I haven't done an interview for a few weeks now, and what a better way to comeback and present you all with an exclusive interview with one of UK's finest, James Talk. He has gone from a fledgling producer and DJ championed by Pete Tong to a global star, gracing the world's most respected labels and clubs on a regular basis.

  


Disco Bunny : It's a great pleasure to have you!!! How are you today? Where are you at the moment of reading this interview?
JT: Thank you, it's a pleasure to be asked. I am feeling good, a little tired. I was in the studio all weekend. I am sat on my sofa, watching a TV show about mapping the Universe.

Disco Bunny: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your career?
JT: I'm 29, I practice yoga, and I'm in training for a 10 mile run for charity. I've been DJing since I was 14, and making music since I was 20. My first record release was in 2003, and I've released records on Defected Records, Noir, Suara and Dirtybird.

Disco Bunny: I love defected and Suara, they have some great releases! Is there a track or remix that you're most proud of, or favourite track you've worked on thus far?
JT: I think my remix of X Press 2 "Smoke Machine" is my best remix, I'm really proud of all the James Talk & Ridney tracks.

Disco Bunny: Really? I have to check that one out. I'm an X Press 2 fan and I only have Sonny Wharton's remix of "Smoke Machine." As you have an international career, you travel a lot to perform your art. Do you have a favourite destination/venue and why?
JT: Los Angeles was always a favourite place to play as it was a second home for me, Vancouver and Toronto are amazing, Tokyo and Melbourne. I don't have a favourite venue, there has been lots of good ones for different reasons. Turnmills in london was a very special venue for me, I was a resident for King Unique's Curfew night there for a year, was an incredible party and really was my first fore into playing in a proper club.

Disco Bunny: Ahhh, I miss Los Angeles every now and then. Your top 5 tunes at the moment?
JT: Audiojack - Plastic Dreams (Gruuv)
James Talk Ft. Cari Golden - Ain't That The Way (Defected Records)
Tom Flynn - With Flowers (Dirtybird)
Deepchild - Riyadh (Derek Marin Remix) (Thoughtless Music)
Technasia - Sunkiss (Ovum Recordings)

Disco Bunny: What's your all time favourite song/track and is there a meaning behind it?
JT: Not sure I have 1 definitive favourite, but a song that I will probably listen to forever is. Tom Mcrae - End Of The World News

Disco Bunny: Nice! Any artist that you think we should be on the look out for?
JT: A1 Bassline is doing some heavy tracks right now!

Disco Bunny: How do you feel about all the mainstream artists, music and the impact its had on today's generation?
JT: Mainstream dance acts have always existed. Trance blew up 10 years ago, Garage before that. There will always be an underground scene, and if we some kids start coming to clubs because they like hearing David Guetta and SHM, and through that they find my music or someone else's then that's a great thing.

Disco Bunny: Wow, what a great way to look at it. Now that's some knowledge.  How can we keep the underground alive, not necessarily underground, but legends such as Sasha, Digweed, etc…?
JT: Are you asking how we can keep Sasha & Digweed alive? They are not that old yet. ;) 
I don't think it's that important people know who Sasha and Digweed are. Todays heroes are tomorrow's legends. Who came before S&D, or before Paul Oakenfold? Nostalgia is a great thing for people who were around when Northern Exposure and Twilo were popular, new people to the scene, don't need to know where it all came from as long as they love the music. It's up to those people from the past to stay relevant to what's happening in the music scene now, so they still appeal to a new audience.

Disco Bunny: I'm a foodie, so I must ask you this, what's your favourite food and do you have any recommendations?
JT: Sushi is definitely my favourite food. There is a awesome little hole in the wall place in Little Tokyo in LA called Hama. 

Disco Bunny: Last but mot least, where can your fans go to find you on-line?
JT: My website has links to all my social networks, but keep and eye on www.soundcloud.com/jamestalk as I'll be posting previews of my album there this week.

Well James, thank you so much for taking the time to gives a little insight about yourself, career and views on music as a whole. I love the way you look at things and the idea of music, weather it's SHM or X Press 2. Music brings people together, from all over the world... and that's the beauty of it. Hope to see you in NYC or LA sometime soon. We'll definitely keep our ears open for your upcoming album. 

Comments