Matteo DiMarr Talks Zulu



Matteo DiMarr is a favourite over at Zulu Records HQ so it is only fitting that their first interview of 2013 is with this talented producer! 'An Angel's Prayer' which came out at the end of 2012 on Zulu Records, has been one of Matteo's most popular releases to date, we caught up with him to find out the formula behind the track, what's planned for this year and more!


So, your latest track ‘An Angel’s Prayer’ with Roland Clark on vocals has just been released on Zulu Records. 
Can you tell us how you came to work with house legend Roland Clark and the process behind this track?

Well, I've always been a fan of Roland's voice. He's got one of the best voices in house music in my opinion..I just came off a mini tour and the number one track for me that I was playing was Roland's "Work it" track on Stereo Productions. So when I got back home I  went on Roland's Soundcloud and noticed that he had some unreleased work ..One of the tracks was An Angel's Prayer..I contacted him and the rest is history..

For the production of the instrumental, I was feeling kind of down at the time so I wanted to make something emotional. I came up with the chord progression and put Roland's vocal over top and the magic was born. The track was written recorded and mastered in a 5 days.

‘An Angel’s Prayer’ is truly an epic production and more melodic than a lot of your other releases.  Can we expect more of this sound in 2013?
It's hard to say..It's whatever I feel at the moment.. after producing for so many years I try and keep things interesting by genre jumping..I know it can be perplexing at times for my fans but I encourage them to join the ride..

It must feel great to be back on Zulu after your remix of My Digital Enemy ‘Reaper’ did so well with Axwell, AN21, Dirty South and all the big guns in support. What do you prefer, remixing or writing original tracks?

I prefer writing my own tracks..It's my complete vision. It's quite easy to write a  track, the challenge is to write a memorable track.  

Apart from ‘An Angel’s Prayer’ what is the biggest track in your record box right now?

 Tetchy - I Can't Be Stopped - Maquina

With over twenty years experience in the industry do you have any advice for young producers trying to break through? What do they need to avoid and aim for?

I think it's very important to try and develop your own sound. These days almost everything sounds the same..the tracks that stick out for me are the ones that have a uniqueness to them. I would avoid following the what's hot trend and stick to your own sound and build a fan base that way. Also, I can't say it any simpler..... put in the work.

What can we expect from you in 2013?  Any big releases or shows coming up?

I'm working on my second sample pack for Loopmasters..I also have a new single I did with vocalist Laura Aqui ("Creep"Size) & Dashka ..Also I want to spread my wings a bit this year, so you'll be seeing a lot of new music on different labels which I haven't been on yet.

Now for our quick fire section can you answer these five questions with the first thing that comes into your head

1. What was the last bit of kit you bought for your studio?
It was the Magnetic 2 plugin from Nomad 
2. Where is your favourite place to DJ?
Any place that still has turntables set up 
3. Who (dead or alive) would be your favourite person to go clubbing with?
My wife 
4. What did you ask Santa for?
Santa can't afford me! 
5. What's your new years resolution for 2013?
Spend money like there's no tomorrow. 


Grab your copy of 'An Angel's Prayer' on Beatport today! - 

http://www.beatport.com/release/an-angels-prayer/1006945



Find out more about Matteo - http://www.facebook.com/matteodimarr

Find out more about Zulu Records bosses My Digital Enemy - 

http://www.facebook.com/mydigitalenemyofficial

Comments